Monday, November 10, 2008

vegan cakes, not RAW RAW RAW, for once


"Nobody seems more obsessed by diet than our anti-materialistic, otherworldly, New Age spiritual types.  But if the material world is merely illusion, an honest guru should be as content with Budweiser and bratwurst as with raw carrot juice, tofu and seaweed slime."  ~Edward Abbey

So saturday was my manger's birthday at our store, and since everybody decided to more or less do their own thing for her, I picked something that I'm at least half way decent at. BAKING, chyaa. I was actually specifically instructed to "not make any healthy shit"...and that being a direct quote from at least 3 people I work with...fair enough I suppose, since making a cake of this proportion raw would cost me, um...a LOT. I love my manger, but really, not enough to blow over $50 for ONE cake. For serious.

The cake is vegan however, and shit, I haven't worked with any of the baking mediums for quite some time. I mean, now and AGAIN, i'll pull something out of my ass for my mom or whomever (both literally and figuratively, thank you), but it's really not something that I strive to perfect on a daily or ever weekly basis.

Inside of the vegan fondant, which let me just say, turned out surprisingly well, was a honey "buttermilk" cake with a strawberry rhubarb custard. Before I went vegan however long ago, I used to make my own fondant (way cheaper) for cakes, and it always came out tasting like..hm...playdough. This fondant however, courtesy of my cousin's taste tester skills, came out as he describes "TASTES LIKE YUMMMY!" I hope I wasn't wrong in assuming that this was a good thing, since he has a tendency to pick and eat his boogers when he's bored.


The top of the cake, the "whipped cream", was a vegan vanilla bean icing, finished off with some vegan sprinkles I found at the vitamin shoppe across the street from my work. The cake was modeled after our new holiday cups that were released on the 4th of this month. Starbuck's trying to get ahead of the game? A lot much, for real.



The logo with the siren was somehow smashed by my non-existent boobs, err.. chest plate, while attempting to create a brown "filling" that resembled coffee. It was promptly fixed once I uploaded these pictures and realized the sirens face was melting into her body

All in all, the cake took about 13 hours to finish... roughly the same amount of time a raw version would've taken me. Actually, I lied. A raw version would've been at LEAST a week with sprouting and all that other bullshit..so yeah..
Cute though, yes?? I think it came out pretty good anyways...and my manager loved it, so that was pretty bomb. (her actual response was "holy shit april, what the hell! this is fucking amazing!") yes yes, thank you!!!

On a much sadder note, my best friend is leaving the state to move in with her boyfriend of 6 years. I'm not going to talk about it too much because you know, it's more personal, but yeah.
Also, I've signed up for a scholorship that requires me to maintain straight A's on the Dean's list for the Natural Sciences Dept. That being the main reason why I been like a ghost on blogger, GI2MR, etc etc.

Forgive me!?

Thanksgivings gonna be the shizznit. I'm already planning out a whole menu of raw goodness. Both non-dessert and dessert (obviously) related.
Good stuff.

3 comments:

Candice Davis said...

You are ridiculously freakin talented! I confess to profound jealousy!

April said...

I miss your posts, I always love your pictures! Hope you had a great thanksgiving!

cruz said...

Hello friends....
===========
SEO projects